From mole and Mezcal to chocolate and chapulines (grasshoppers) — explore the magic of Oaxacan cuisine!
- Adult Ages 18+
As the sun sets over Oaxaca, sip hand-crafted cocktails and dig into local Oaxacan cuisine.
This relaxed sunset cocktail tour will introduce you to four different locally-owned restaurants in Oaxaca’s Centro just as the sun begins its dip below the horizon, painting a picture perfect and ever-changing backdrop for you as the tour moves along. We spend about an hour at each tasting stop, giving you a chance to pace yourself as you sample up to 20 food and drink tastings across the entire four-hour, guided experience.
- Enjoy 3 hand-crafted mezcal cocktails, beer and artisanal mezcal paired with traditional and innovative food tastings like mole, tacos, and chile en nogada.
- Feel the vibe of the historic center at the golden hour from the perspective of some of the city’s best rooftops and atmospheric patios.
- Learn insider food and drink tips from a local guide passionate about their city.
- Meet the chefs and bartenders and discover the stories behind every sip and bite.
- Tours are conducted in English. Bi-lingual guides will translate in Spanish as needed.
- Ticket price includes food, drinks (alcoholic/non-alcoholic), restaurant and guide gratuities.
- Vegetarian and dairy-free options available.
- Eat a light lunch. There is plenty of food for a filling dinner.
- Mostly flat walking – about a mile, stair climbing to terraces.
- Tours occur rain or shine. Wear comfortable clothing, (hat, sunscreen) and good walking shoes.
- Tickets must be purchased online prior to the tour. No walk-ups or cash are accepted.
- Oaxaca Eats Food Tours supports responsible travel by donating 5% of each ticket sale to two local nonprofits – Esperanza Infantil and The Institute of Historic Organs of Oaxaca.
Tasting Stop #1
With whatever cocktail the bartender’s dreamt up for the day in hand, sample traditional bites from the Mixteca region of Oaxaca while you take in the stunning rooftop views and terrace art, including the beautiful metal sculpture by local artist Luis Zarate.
Tasting Stop #2
Get another Oaxacan rooftop perspective, one that includes the iconic Santo Domingo Church, while you sip a Pulque Loma – a creative twist on the classic Mexican paloma – and munch on a mouthwatering array of chef-prepared small plates like a tuna tostada and cauliflower taco al pastor.
Tasting Stop #3
Housed in a historic 16th-century building, the family of chefs behind this tasting stop offer you a delicious chile en nogada alongside a refreshing Mexican beer. Enjoy their unique views of the city, surrounding valley, and Oaxaca’s soon-to-be Museo de Gastronomia from above.
Tasting Stop #4
A quiet and romantic foodie favorite in the historic neighborhood of Xochimilco, this stop serves one-of-a-kind cocktails with a traditional menu featuring caldo de piedra (stone soup), and mole negro ice cream in an even-better-after-dark tranquil, courtyard setting.
Have questions? Here are the most frequently asked.
The tour is four hours and at a maximum just over a mile of moderate-paced walking on flat streets and sidewalks. Most locations are within 5-10 minutes of each other. Two restaurants require climbing stairs (with handrail) to reach the rooftop terrace. The tour is appropriate for most fitness levels but is not recommended for those who have difficulty walking or climbing stairs. It is not wheelchair accessible and a stroller is not recommended.
Note: Oaxaca sits at an altitude of 5,102 feet or 1,555 meters. For those not acclimated to higher altitudes, you might experience some altitude-related symptoms such as shortness of breath. Walk slowly, keep hydrated, and rest when needed.
Yes. We can accommodate vegetarians. Please mention your dietary restrictions and any allergies when you buy your ticket(s). We pass this information along to the restaurants in advance and all will accommodate this request.
Yes. Full refunds are available for cancellations made at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Cancellations made within 24 hours of the start date of the experience will receive no refund.
We are also happy to reschedule you (based on availability) on another tour during your stay.
We suggest purchasing Ticket Guardian which offers insurance on every ticket bought. Protected tickets may be refunded at any time up until the start of your experience through a claim with Ticket Guardian. You’ll find this option as an add-on during the ticket purchasing process.
All food, drinks, and restaurant gratuities are included in the ticket price. 5% of the ticket price will be divided between two non-profit charities that we support – Esperanza Infantil and Institute of Historic Organs of Oaxaca.
Extra costs include additional beverages not part of the original tour and/or items for purchase at tasting locations along the way.
Gratuity for your tour guide is not included in the ticket price but is always appreciated at your discretion. Standard gratuity in the service industry is 15-20%. For our tours, 15% is approximately $12-14US or about 200-300 Mexican pesos.
Yes, bathrooms are available at each food tasting location.
Still have questions? Visit our FAQ page to submit your own.